- Haunted: On Ghosts, Witches, Vampires, Zombies, and Other Monsters of the Natural and Supernatural Worlds. Yale University Press, 2016.
- Trying to be Cool: Growing up in the 1950s. Asahina & Wallace, 2013.
- The Hollywood Sign: Fantasy and Reality of an American Icon. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2011.
- On the Waterfront. British Film Institute Film Classics, London, 2005.
- From Chivalry to Terrorism: War and the Changing Nature of Masculinity. New York: Knopf, 2003; paperback, Vintage, 2005.
- Native Informant: Essays on Film, Fiction and Popular Culture. Oxford University Press, 1992.
- The Frenzy of Renown: Fame and Its History. Oxford University Press, 1986; paperback, 1987. Second edition (paperback) with a new afterword, Vintage, 1997.
- The World in a Frame: What We See in Films. Doubleday, 1976 (paperback, 1977); Second edition (paperback), University of Chicago, 1984; Twenty-fifth anniversary edition, 2002.
- Jean Renoir: The World of his Films. Doubleday, 1972 (paperback, 1973; English edition, 1977); second edition, Columbia University Press, 1989.
- Narrative Form in History and Fiction: Hume, Fielding, and Gibbon. Princeton, 1970; second edition (as The Plot of Time, Los Angeles: Figueroa Press, 2003).
ANTHOLOGIES, EDITED AND CO-EDITED:
- Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings, 8th Edition. Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings (with Marshall Cohen), seventh edition. New York: Oxford, 2009.
- Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings (with Marshall Cohen), sixth edition. New York: Oxford, 2004.
- Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings (with Marshall Cohen), fifth edition. New York: Oxford, 1998.
- Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings (with Gerald Mast and Marshall Cohen), fourth edition. New York: Oxford, 1992.
- Great Film Directors: A Critical Anthology (with Morris Dickstein). Oxford, 1979.
- Norman Mailer: A Collection of Critical Essays. Prentice-Hall, 1972.
- Focus On: Shoot the Piano Player: A Collection of Critical Essays. Prentice-Hall, 1972.
- “Cultures and Communities.” A Companion to Los Angeles, William Deverell and Greg Hise, Eds. Oxford: Blackwell, 2010.
- “Introduction.” Suburban Knights: A Return to the Middle Ages, photographs by E.F. Kitchen. powerHouse Books, 2010.
- “‘The Director, That Miserable Son of a Bitch’: Kazan, Viva Zapata, and the Problem of Authority.” Kazan Revisited. Lisa Dombrowski, Ed. Middletown: Wesleyan University Press, 2010.
- “Secular Anointings: Fame, Celebrity, and Charisma in the First Century of Mass Culture.” Constructing Charisma: Celebrity, Fame, and Power in Nineteenth-Century Europe. Edward Berenson and Eva Giloi, Eds. New York: Berghahn Books, 2010.
- “Leo Braudy’s Favorite Moments of Horror vs. Terror in Film.” The Book of Lists: Horror. Amy Wallace, Del Howison, and Scott Bradley, Eds. New York: HarperColins, 2008.
- “Walt Whitman and Photography”. Marvin Heiferman, Ed. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Click!, 2008.